Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Help Please

Help me please

I am attempting to import a file that is too large for excel. It has
to may columns and is getting cut off. Is there anyway to import the
full spreadsheet?

I need to have rows and columns soo notepad is not an option.

Thanks
Rob
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sep 29, 1:21*pm, wrote:
Help me please

I am attempting to import a file that is too large for excel. It has
to may columns and is getting cut off. Is there anyway to import the
full spreadsheet?

I need to have rows and columns soo notepad is not an option.

Thanks
Rob

I'm assuming that you're using Excel 2003 and have more than 256
columns - as there are many many many columns in 2007- one option is
to use that version (although not exactly a quick fix.)

If you want to work with it in Excel than you will have to generate a
unique key for each row and then split it accross multiple sheets.

How many columns and how many rows do you have? What is the structure
of the file? Might be able to find/make a utility to help out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can:

1 - find a copy of Excel 2007 that offers 16 thousand columns and over 1
million rows
2 - write VBA code to read each line of the file and place the first 256
columns into the first worksheet, the next 256 into the 2d sheet, etc.
3 - You can import into MS Access that (may) allow for lots more than 256
columns

" wrote:

Help me please

I am attempting to import a file that is too large for excel. It has
to may columns and is getting cut off. Is there anyway to import the
full spreadsheet?

I need to have rows and columns soo notepad is not an option.

Thanks
Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have it maxed out at IV ( i have 266 columns that i need to open and
i need to add more )
I have 4390 rows so far..

The Project - I have a web store that upload directly from my adagio
software ( kinda like accpac ) .. anyway the web store exports an
excel file with all the categories of the web store across the top and
the entire inventory worth of part numbers down the left hand side.
For each part number we need to input yes's in every column that a
certain part falls under.

Clear?

whats happened is we have so many different catagroies that our
columns has maxed out at IV which is less then 266 columns that i
need?

any ideas

thanks for the help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah. So it generates an Excel file- (or attempts to). The problem
with that might be that if the export function of the application
actually does not output the data, then you're a bit stuck.

does it generate a .xls file, or a text file - ie .txt or .csv

If it generates a .xls chances are the data is just not in it.

If its a text file the data is likely there, and therefore a vba
solution will work.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sep 29, 10:55*am, James wrote:
Ah. *So it generates an Excel file- (or attempts to). *The problem
with that might be that if the export function of the application
actually does not output the data, then you're a bit stuck.

does it generate a .xls file, or a text file - *ie .txt or .csv

If it generates a .xls chances are the data is just not in it.

If its a text file the data is likely there, and therefore a vba
solution will work.

I think just upgrading to 2007 by the sounds of it will work. I just
checked i am only using 2000..
it is an .xls file.. soo hopefully that will be the solution...

Thanks again guys
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

The upgrade to Excel 2007 will allow you 16,384 columns and 1,048,576 rows.

Access 2003 and earlier only supports 255 fields (columns) so that is not a
solution either.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire