Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula

I need to create in my grade book a formula that assigns different value to
the number in the cell. example homework column average for a student is 90
but over all value is 10% of total grade my other areas are valued as 20%,
20%, 25%, 25% for the finale numerical grade.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Look in google for
weighted average:excel
Don't forget the :
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Roger" wrote in message
I need to create in my grade book a formula that assigns different value to
the number in the cell. example homework column average for a student is
90
but over all value is 10% of total grade my other areas are valued as 20%,
20%, 25%, 25% for the finale numerical grade.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you

"Don Guillett" wrote:

Look in google for
weighted average:excel
Don't forget the :
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Roger" wrote in message
I need to create in my grade book a formula that assigns different value to
the number in the cell. example homework column average for a student is
90
but over all value is 10% of total grade my other areas are valued as 20%,
20%, 25%, 25% for the finale numerical grade.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Roger,

I did not check google but here is a simple way to do this:
Suppose you enter the weight in cells A1:A5 (0.1, 0.2, 0.2, 0.25, 0.25) and
you enter the scored in cells C1:C5, then the formula is:

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:E1*A3:E3)

If you are going to apply this idea to many cells:

=SUMPRODUCT($A$1:$E$1*A3:E3)

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire