Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Why do Excel functions return the text and not run?

I am using Excel 2007. When I try a function in cell b2, like =upper(a2), it
enters the function text ("=upper(a2)" and it does not return the uppercase
contents of cell a2. Cell a2 contains lower case text. Is there a setting or
protection that needs to be disabled?