Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Match/Vlookup/Hlookup ?

Not sure what formula to use when trying to match two criteria and having
them pinpoint a cell depending on teh criteria.

I need the formula to go out and look for "Vermont" in the row and "Mar" in
the column and give me '234'.

Texas California Vermont Ohio Iowa
Oct 10 5 4 3 2
Nov 38 20 50 90 7
Dec 40 35 96 177 12
Jan 41 50 142 264 17
Feb 56 65 188 351 22
Mar 65 80 234 438 27
Apr 75 95 280 525 32
May 85 110 326 612 37
Jun 94 125 372 699 42
Jul 104 140 418 786 47

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

you can try to use the INDEX and MATCH function:

=index(A1:F11,match("Mar",A1:A11,0),match("Vermont ",A1:F1,0)

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com