Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default YEAR TO DATE SUM

Working on a financial spreadsheet that adds columns to get a YTD total. The
columns are setup Actual, Budget, Actual, Budget, Actual, Budget etc. for the
year. I can use the sum function for the actuals but wondered how to sum the
budget columns to only include those months corresponding to the # of months
I'm summing for Actuals to arrive at a YTD comparison.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Suppose your data is setup like this in range A2:I4. In B1 and C1 enter the
number 1. In D1, enter the following formula =b1+1 and copy till cell I1.
In any cell, say O2, enter a number which depicts the month number till
which you want to sum. For e.g., to sum till March, enter 3. Now in cell
J4, enter the following formula =
SUMPRODUCT(($B$3:$I$3=J$3)*(B1:I1<=$O$2),B4:I4)

January February March April Budget Actual Budget Actual Budget Actual Budget Actual
Reveue 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107

Hope this helps.

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Bri123321" wrote in message
Working on a financial spreadsheet that adds columns to get a YTD total.
The
columns are setup Actual, Budget, Actual, Budget, Actual, Budget etc. for
the
year. I can use the sum function for the actuals but wondered how to sum
the
budget columns to only include those months corresponding to the # of
months
I'm summing for Actuals to arrive at a YTD comparison.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It seems to works absolutely fine for me. Please feel free to contact me at
if you face any difficulty.

Ashsih Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com