PhilS

Default Why do I get a #Name error when I use the DateDif function?

I have used the =DateDif function in the past. I recently had to format my
drive and reinstalled Office 2k. When I returned my application, all the
cells using the =DateDif function returned a #Name error. Hope someone can
assist. Thank you in advance.
Phil
Dave Peterson

=datedif() in the worksheet
datediff in VBA

My bet it isn't your function (=datedif()), it's something else in the formula.

You may want to post the whole formula if you can't isolate the problem.

--

Dave Peterson
PhilS

Here is the formula that I have been using for over two years.
=DATEDIF("12/31/2004",(TODAY()),"d")
I was using this with XLS 2000 through Office 2K with WIN 2K. I saved my
application on disk, reformatted the drive, installed XP Pro. Then
reinstalled Office 2000. Then brought my application back from disk to the
Spreadsheet folder that I use and in every instance where the formula is
located I get the #NAME error. On the same machine I also have Office 2003. I
get the same error in both of the versions of office. Thanks again for your
help.
PhilS

PhilS wrote:

I have used the =DateDif function in the past. I recently had to format my
drive and reinstalled Office 2k. When I returned my application, all the
cells using the =DateDif function returned a #Name error. Hope someone can
assist. Thank you in advance.
Phil

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

It always scares me when I see dates as strings.

I'd use this:
=DATEDIF(DATE(2004,12,31),TODAY(),"d")

Just in case the windows regional settings for short dates wasn't mdy.

But when I changed my windows regional settings, I got a #value! error with your
original formula.

Another international question...

Are you sure that "D" is the correct representation for Day in your installed
version of excel. (difficult to guess where you're located).

Heck, maybe =datedif() is different in your installed language.

If you do this:
hit alt-f11 to get to the VBE
hit ctrl-g to see the immediate window
type this and hit enter:
range("a1").formula = "=DATEDIF(DATE(2004,12,31),TODAY(),""d"")"

what formula do you see in A1 of that activesheet?

PhilS wrote:

I have used the =DateDif function in the past. I recently had to format my
drive and reinstalled Office 2k. When I returned my application, all the
cells using the =DateDif function returned a #Name error. Hope someone can
assist. Thank you in advance.
Phil

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Dave Peterson

And Kassie brings up another good point.

Do you have a macro or a name (like a range name) or a module name of DateDif.
If you do (or did), maybe you're confusing excel.

Does the formula work in a brand new workbook?

Does the formula work in a brand new workbook when you start excel in safe mode?

close excel
windows start button|Run
excel /safe

type in your formula and see what happens????