Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need help with a formula

I currently have a formula or function which is =SUM(B26-B17) what do I
add if I want the total to appear in red if it is a minus rather that a
positive

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You don't need the SUM function. Try it like this:

=B26-B17

To format a negative result as red:
Select the cell with the formula
Goto the menu FormatCellsNumber tab
Select one of the negative formats available
Set the decimal places to whatever you want
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Nobody" wrote in message
I currently have a formula or function which is =SUM(B26-B17) what do I
add if I want the total to appear in red if it is a minus rather that a
positive

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello,

Please follow the steps bellow:
1- Right click on the cell where you have placed the formula;
2- A vertical menu will appear, then click where says "Format Cells"
3- When Excel displays the Format cell dialog box, click number tab and then
select the category you want to use(number or currency)
4- Select the 1234.10 if you choose number or select $1,234.10; if you
choose currency.

I hope it helped.
Regards,

JMiller

"Nobody" wrote:

I currently have a formula or function which is =SUM(B26-B17) what do I
add if I want the total to appear in red if it is a minus rather that a
positive

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No sure I worded my question corectly, I'll try again.
Lets say the cell I have that tells me the balance of 2 other cells,
currently it gives me a dollar amount and it is correct, it adds 2 cells and
then subtracts from another cell and the total appears in the cell I am
trying to make red if the total is a -

I tried the format cells and selected the red numbers but when I make the
total a - it's still black.