Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Validation List 27.08.08

I have a validation list for a particular cell. It contains a list of
longish phrases which I want to be able to select from for that
particular cell. But after I have selected a particular phrase, I
want to be able to amend it. It won't allow me to. I've tried
including a blank line in the validation list, but that doesn't make
any difference.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You cannot do that, since you need an element that exists in the list.

--
Wigi
http://www.wimgielis.be = Excel/VBA, soccer and music

"robzrob" wrote:

I have a validation list for a particular cell. It contains a list of
longish phrases which I want to be able to select from for that
particular cell. But after I have selected a particular phrase, I
want to be able to amend it. It won't allow me to. I've tried
including a blank line in the validation list, but that doesn't make
any difference.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you want to amend it permanently you will have to do that in the source
list manually.

If you want to amend it temporarily, turn off error alert in DV dialog and
enter what you wish.

This entry will not remain in the list.

To add items to the list as you enter them you will need VBA code.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for a sample workbook.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/excelfiles.html#DataVal

DV0012 - Update Validation List -- type a new value in a cell that contains
data validation, and it's automatically added to the source list, and the
list is sorted; a macro automates the list updates. DataValListAddSort.zip
11 kb

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:43:33 -0700 (PDT), robzrob
wrote:

I have a validation list for a particular cell. It contains a list of
longish phrases which I want to be able to select from for that
particular cell. But after I have selected a particular phrase, I
want to be able to amend it. It won't allow me to. I've tried
including a blank line in the validation list, but that doesn't make
any difference.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In xl2003, I'd use:

Data|Validation|Settings Tab
List
(and use a named range in the source box)

But on the Error Alert tab, I'd uncheck the "Show error alert after invalid data
is entered" box.

robzrob wrote:

I have a validation list for a particular cell. It contains a list of
longish phrases which I want to be able to select from for that
particular cell. But after I have selected a particular phrase, I
want to be able to amend it. It won't allow me to. I've tried
including a blank line in the validation list, but that doesn't make
any difference.

--

Dave Peterson