SP

Default Concatenate & Force argument to End of String-(spsjp)

Thanks to JulieD who explained to me how to limit my concatenation string.
Now I'm trying to acheive additional functionality. I would like to (when
concatenating arguments) force certain arguments to the end of the string
being concatenated (which I will then limit in number). REASON: I am
essentially capturing a series of two character codes (some are "valid" and
some are "invalid)...I will concatenate them together but then want to limit
the total string length to a specified number (which I can do now). However,
by limiting the number, and not being able to force the invalid arguments to
the end of the string...I can potentially eliminate a "valid" number due to
the length limiting. The length limiting is desired and would not be a
problem if I could force some of the "invalid" tags to the end prior to
limiting the total length. Thanks in advance! (On a seperate note - can you
begin limiting or counting characters after a specific character like a dash
"-"?)
JulieD

Hi SP

see my reply to your other post about the "-" question

as to your first question, could you please type out say 5 examples of what
you have and what you want to see, because i'm having a hard time
visualising it. (don't attach a workbook, just list the data in the form
A.........B......C)

Cheers
JulieD

"SP" wrote in message
[...]

SP

I'm sorry if this makes no sense...I've re-written this several times trying
to do A, B , C like you said but I am terrible at trying to explain this!!!
aarrrrggggghhhhh!!!

ORDER NUMBER= 123456

ORDER LINE ITEM (A,B,C, etc.)= A

ANY POSSIBLE COMBINATION OF PACKAGES MAY BE PURCHASED
Pkg1 Pkg2 Pkg3 Pkg4 Pkg5 Pkg6 Pkg7
PLACE (X) x x
UNDER EACH
PKG DESIRED=

X-REF TABLE
VALID AND INVALID NUMBERS
(VALIDS used if selected INVALIDS used if not selected)
[NOTE: Each VALID 2 char. tag represents a Pkg FEATURE]
Pkg1 Pkg2 Pkg3 Pkg4 Pkg5 Pkg6 Pkg7
08 02 38 39 05 27 28
VALID 15 45 75 35
52 82

INVALID 57 58 59 60 61 62 63
64 65 66 67 68 69 70

SELECTION FEATURE OUTPUT
(PRE-CONCATENATION)
#REF! #REF! #REF! #REF! #REF! #REF! #REF!
#REF! #REF! #REF! #REF! #REF! #REF! #REF!
#REF! #REF!
--------------------------------------
ORDER # = 123456

LINE ITEM (A,B,C, etc.) = A
SELECTION OUTPUT
(POST-CONCATENATION)
PKG FEATURES ONLY" = #REF!
---------------------------------------

SELECTION OUTPUT
(POST-CONCATENATION)
TOTAL TICKET [ORDER# -LINE ITEM- PKGS] = #REF!

"SP" wrote in message
[...]

JulieD

Hi

sorry, still can't understand it - would you like to email me a sample of
the database with the outcome you want shown - my email address is julied_ng
at hcts dot net dot au.

--
Cheers
JulieD