Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count occurrents based on criteria in different column

Look at Data in D & E. If blank, and if column C = "studio", then count
occurrences.

C D E
Studio Allen Barnes
Private Jones
Studio
Double Hayes Hayes
Studio Taylor
In this case, the answer should be (3).
OR, IF POSSIBLE, would like to look at blanks, and deliver totals of C, i.e.
Studio = 3, Private = 1

Also, would it be possible to look at multiple sets of columns, Look at D,
E, H, I and deliver summary from C and G?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C6="studio")*(D2:E6=""))
=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C6="private")*(D2:E6=""))

Also, would it be possible to look at multiple sets of
columns, Look at D, E, H, I and deliver summary
from C and G?

Just string them together:

=SUMPRODUCT((C2:C6="studio")*(D2:E6=""))+SUMPRODUC T((G2:G6="studio")*(H2:I6=""))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Blueagm" wrote in message
Look at Data in D & E. If blank, and if column C = "studio", then count
occurrences.

C D E
Studio Allen Barnes
Private Jones
Studio
Double Hayes Hayes
Studio Taylor
In this case, the answer should be (3).
OR, IF POSSIBLE, would like to look at blanks, and deliver totals of C,
i.e.
Studio = 3, Private = 1

Also, would it be possible to look at multiple sets of columns, Look at D,
E, H, I and deliver summary from C and G?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't quite follow you...

Blueagm wrote:
Look at Data in D & E. If blank, and if column C = "studio", then count
occurrences.

C D E
Studio Allen Barnes
Private Jones
Studio
Double Hayes Hayes
Studio Taylor
In this case, the answer should be (3).

3 is the number of occurrences of "studio" with no other conditions. If
the count depends on blanks in D & E, wouldn't the answer be 2?

[snipped]