Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pat Pat is offline

Default Covert Text String Data

I need take a column of abbreviated state names (in random order and
frequency) in sheet 1 and have them converted to the states full name in the
appropriate cell in sheet 2. Here's an example:

Sheet 1 Sheet 2
Row 2 column 4 = MD Row 2 column 5 = Maryland
Row 3 column 4 = AK Row 3 column 5 = Alaska

So the sheet one abbreviation needs to go through some process where it
looks at all 50 states and then selects the right state. I tried to do an
"IF" but that has a limit of about 7 or 8 and that's all. Obviously I need
something that will do 50. Any suggestions?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to build a lookup table of two columns, state abbreviation and then
name, and lookup that value

=VLOOKUP(D2,Sheet2!E:F,2,False)

--
HTH