Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do i create a cd calculator

I have a Certificate of Deposit that automatically transfers the interest to
another account. I'd like to create a worksheet that would tell me how much
would have been in the CD if the interest had been left.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I know basic excel functions, could you help me with the formula? The initial
investment is $5000, interest rate has fluctuated but it started at 3.5%, and
interest is earned monthly.

"julie410" wrote in message
I have a Certificate of Deposit that automatically transfers the interest
another account. I'd like to create a worksheet that would tell me how
much
would have been in the CD if the interest had been left.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The best way to get help on an Excel function is to use the Help facility.
It's much faster than this board.

However, your problem is now different from what you initially stated, so FV
may not work for you.

The problem is the fluctuating interest rate. So we need more clarification
on the solution you want.

What do you want to compare? The total interest received versus the total
interest that would have been earned had it been reinvested? How long a time
period are we talking about (how many reinvestments)? Currently, you
transfer the interest to a separate account. Does that account earn any
interest? If so, should this be accounted for? Do we assume that the rate
for interest paid monthly is the same as the compounding rate? If so, is
this a fair assumption?

Regards
Fred