Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Fill Mon-Wed-Fri dates?

I'm a college instructor and would REALLY like to find a way to automatically
fill the dates for MWF classes or for T-Th classes. So far all I can get
excel to do is either weekdays or every-other day. Any suggestions would be
helpful!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

down and dirty
A2: 8/4/08 (or some other day that is definitely Mon, Wed, or Fri)
A3: =A2+2*OR(WEEKDAY(A2)=2,WEEKDAY(A2)=4)+3*(WEEKDAY(A 2)=6)
Copy A3 down as needed.

or, for Tue / Thu
A2: 8/5/08 (or some other day that is definitely Tue or Thu)
A3: =D2+2*(WEEKDAY(D2)=3)+5*(WEEKDAY(D2)=5)

Hope this helps.
--
John C

"LynneCreek" wrote:

I'm a college instructor and would REALLY like to find a way to automatically
fill the dates for MWF classes or for T-Th classes. So far all I can get
excel to do is either weekdays or every-other day. Any suggestions would be
helpful!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try these...

Enter the first date in a cell. This date must be a weekday in the sequence.

For M-W-F

A1 = 8/6/2008 (which is a Wednesday)

Enter this formula in A2 and copy down as needed:

=A1+LOOKUP(WEEKDAY(A1),{0,2,6},{2,2,3})

For T-Th

A1 = 8/7/2008 (which is a Thursday):

Enter this formula in A2 and copy down as needed:

=A1+LOOKUP(WEEKDAY(A1),{0,5},{2,5})

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"LynneCreek" wrote in message
I'm a college instructor and would REALLY like to find a way to
automatically
fill the dates for MWF classes or for T-Th classes. So far all I can get
excel to do is either weekdays or every-other day. Any suggestions would
be
helpful!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

THANK YOU! This was VERY clever - I use Excel on a regular basis, however, I
learned something new today - I did not know that a function {such as OR in
this case} could be used as you have done - VERY cool! And this works like a
charm - whew! Much appreciated - Thanks again!

"LynneCreek" wrote:

I'm a college instructor and would REALLY like to find a way to automatically
fill the dates for MWF classes or for T-Th classes. So far all I can get
excel to do is either weekdays or every-other day. Any suggestions would be
helpful!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

THANK YOU! Another very clever fix - I definitely did not think about using
a Lookup function this way - I've learned something ELSE new today! Wahoo!
This also works just GREAT!

Again - my sincere thanks :-)

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi. Just another option.

If A1 has a M,W, or F date, then perhaps...
=A1+MOD(17,WEEKDAY(A1)+1)

If A1 has a Tues, or Thur date...
=A1+MOD(12,WEEKDAY(A1)+2)

--