Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Turn off auto sequence in fill down?

Want to fill down with the mouse without going to the next number in a
sequence;
IOW:
If A1 is E76D3456-1, I want to copy down using the mouse without
having E76D3456-1 turn into a "dash 2" in A2 but remain as
E76D3456-1.
Either double clicking in the lower right corner, or dragging from the
"plus sign".
I've looked through the tools/options, haven't found it yet. Ideas?
(Excel 2003)

TIA
Pierre
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Turn off auto sequence in fill down?

Hi Pierre,

To turn off the auto sequence in fill down, you can follow these steps:
  1. Select the cell with the value you want to copy down.
  2. Hover your mouse over the bottom right corner of the cell until you see a small black cross.
  3. Click and hold the left mouse button and drag down to the cell where you want to copy the value.
  4. Release the mouse button.

This should copy the value without incrementing the number at the end. If you still encounter the issue, you can try the following:
  1. Click on the "Tools" menu and select "Options".
  2. Click on the "Edit" tab.
  3. Uncheck the "Enable fill handle and cell drag-and-drop" option.
  4. Click "OK" to save the changes.

This should disable the auto sequence when using the fill handle or dragging cells with the mouse.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

2 ways

Enter E76D3456-1 in the top cell then select that cell and the range to fill
then
Edit|Fill|Down

or
Enter E76D3456-1 in the top 2 cells and select them both and drag down with
the fill handle.

Mike

"Pierre" wrote:

Want to fill down with the mouse without going to the next number in a
sequence;
IOW:
If A1 is E76D3456-1, I want to copy down using the mouse without
having E76D3456-1 turn into a "dash 2" in A2 but remain as
E76D3456-1.
Either double clicking in the lower right corner, or dragging from the
"plus sign".
I've looked through the tools/options, haven't found it yet. Ideas?
(Excel 2003)

TIA
Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Pierre" wrote:
Want to fill down with the mouse without going to the next number in a
sequence;
IOW:
If A1 is E76D3456-1, I want to copy down using the mouse without
having E76D3456-1 turn into a "dash 2" in A2 but remain as
E76D3456-1.
Either double clicking in the lower right corner, or dragging from the
"plus sign".
I've looked through the tools/options, haven't found it yet. *Ideas?
(Excel 2003)

TIA
Pierre- Hide quoted text -

Thanks to both Mike & John for their help.

Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Pierre,

Drag down with the fill handle,
hold down Ctrl and then let go of the left button.

HTH
Martin

"Pierre" wrote in message
Want to fill down with the mouse without going to the next number in a
sequence;
IOW:
If A1 is E76D3456-1, I want to copy down using the mouse without
having E76D3456-1 turn into a "dash 2" in A2 but remain as
E76D3456-1.
Either double clicking in the lower right corner, or dragging from the
"plus sign".
I've looked through the tools/options, haven't found it yet. Ideas?
(Excel 2003)

TIA
Pierre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you rightclick and drag that little fill handle, you can choose how you want
the cells filled.

I think that's easier than remembering how excel fills the data.

Pierre wrote:

Want to fill down with the mouse without going to the next number in a
sequence;
IOW:
If A1 is E76D3456-1, I want to copy down using the mouse without
having E76D3456-1 turn into a "dash 2" in A2 but remain as
E76D3456-1.
Either double clicking in the lower right corner, or dragging from the
"plus sign".
I've looked through the tools/options, haven't found it yet. Ideas?
(Excel 2003)

TIA
Pierre

--