Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Prevent alpha character from being entered into a numeric field

How can I protect a cell so that an alpha character cannot be entered into a
numeric field?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming your cursor is in Cell A1:
Use Data Validation.
From the top menu, select...
Data Validation Settings Allow
Select Custom
For 'Formula', put...
=ISNUMBER(A1) = TRUE
--
Hope this helps.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Brazil" wrote:

How can I protect a cell so that an alpha character cannot be entered into a
numeric field?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Go to the Main Menu: Data: Validation. From there, you can set the
parameters on what can be entered into the cell as well as input and error
messages.

http://www.kan.org/tips/excel_validation.php
--
Tips for Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Other Applications
http://www.kan.org/tips

"Brazil" wrote:

How can I protect a cell so that an alpha character cannot be entered into a
numeric field?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select Data/Data Validation and select either whole number or decimal
from the list to restrict the cell to that type of content. You get to
set a min and max and can set up an input message (that appears when
the cell is selected - like a comment that responds to selection not
mouse position) and an error message.