Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lab lab is offline

Default Vlookup or getpivot? two entries

So I have this chart that has information about all the chemicals we use in
our lab, the columns have, description(chemical name and information),
manufacturer, company part #, hazards, and CAS #

From this data I am making a new chart so we can record all the chemicals
coming into our lab.
I want to enter the manufacturer's name and part # and then have excel use
these two entry's to look at the other chart and find the description,
hazards and CAS# so i don't have to type them all.

Would it be better to use some sort of vlookup (can you use this for more
than one thing), or should i use a pivot table and use a getpivotdata?

Any help would be great!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is (probably) what you need:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctio...ml#IndexMatch4
It is a type of double-lookup.

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy

"LAB" wrote:

So I have this chart that has information about all the chemicals we use in
our lab, the columns have, description(chemical name and information),
manufacturer, company part #, hazards, and CAS #

From this data I am making a new chart so we can record all the chemicals
coming into our lab.
I want to enter the manufacturer's name and part # and then have excel use
these two entry's to look at the other chart and find the description,
hazards and CAS# so i don't have to type them all.

Would it be better to use some sort of vlookup (can you use this for more
than one thing), or should i use a pivot table and use a getpivotdata?

Any help would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lab lab is offline

So i've got it working but I want to be able to pull the formula down as I
go. (apply to the whole column). Do you know how to do that?
Here's my fomula
=INDEX(Sheet2!$B$3:$B$241,MATCH(1,(Sheet1!$E$3=She et2!$C$3:$C$241)*(Sheet1!$F$3=Sheet2!$D$3:$D$241), 0))

But when I drag it down it still refers to E3 and F3, when I want it to be
the row I drag it to. E4 and F4.

"LAB" wrote:

So I have this chart that has information about all the chemicals we use in
our lab, the columns have, description(chemical name and information),
manufacturer, company part #, hazards, and CAS #

From this data I am making a new chart so we can record all the chemicals
coming into our lab.
I want to enter the manufacturer's name and part # and then have excel use
these two entry's to look at the other chart and find the description,
hazards and CAS# so i don't have to type them all.

Would it be better to use some sort of vlookup (can you use this for more
than one thing), or should i use a pivot table and use a getpivotdata?

Any help would be great!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lab lab is offline

I fixed it myself
=INDEX(Sheet2!$B$3:$B$241,MATCH(1,(Sheet1!E3=Sheet 2!$C$3:$C$241)*(Sheet1!F3=Sheet2!$D$3:$D$241),0))

I removed the $ for the cell reference, now I can copy the formula down and
it applys to the current row.

"LAB" wrote:

So I have this chart that has information about all the chemicals we use in
our lab, the columns have, description(chemical name and information),
manufacturer, company part #, hazards, and CAS #

From this data I am making a new chart so we can record all the chemicals