Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Paste Special

I want to make sure that users cannot change the formatting of a cell if they
accidentally do a 'Paste SpecialValues' on the original cell. [Example:
Sheet2Cell A1 points to Sheet1Cell B19. User is instructed to 'Copy'
Sheet2CellA1 and 'Paste Special Values' to Sheet2Cell A2. If they
inadvertently 'Paste' to Sheet2CellA1, the source of Sheet2CellA1 is lost as
only values are displayed]

Is there a way in which I can write-protect Sheet2CellA1 while still being
able to Copy from it?

Thanks.

Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Lock the cell.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200795

"MichaelRobert" wrote:

I want to make sure that users cannot change the formatting of a cell if they
accidentally do a 'Paste SpecialValues' on the original cell. [Example:
Sheet2Cell A1 points to Sheet1Cell B19. User is instructed to 'Copy'
Sheet2CellA1 and 'Paste Special Values' to Sheet2Cell A2. If they
inadvertently 'Paste' to Sheet2CellA1, the source of Sheet2CellA1 is lost as
only values are displayed]

Is there a way in which I can write-protect Sheet2CellA1 while still being
able to Copy from it?

Thanks.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Many thanks for the solution. I had to uncheck the 'Allow users to select
locked cells' to make it work correctly (FomatCellsProtection). Is that
right?

I appreciate your help.

Mike

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Lock the cell.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200795

"MichaelRobert" wrote:

I want to make sure that users cannot change the formatting of a cell if they
accidentally do a 'Paste SpecialValues' on the original cell. [Example:
Sheet2Cell A1 points to Sheet1Cell B19. User is instructed to 'Copy'
Sheet2CellA1 and 'Paste Special Values' to Sheet2Cell A2. If they
inadvertently 'Paste' to Sheet2CellA1, the source of Sheet2CellA1 is lost as
only values are displayed]

Is there a way in which I can write-protect Sheet2CellA1 while still being
able to Copy from it?

Thanks.

Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, folks; my reply was more-than-usually screwed up. I should have
written that to make the 'lock' work I had to uncheck all boxes in the
'ToolsProtectionProtectionProtect Sheet' menu.

Mike

"MichaelRobert" wrote:

Many thanks for the solution. I had to uncheck the 'Allow users to select
locked cells' to make it work correctly (FomatCellsProtection). Is that
right?

I appreciate your help.

Mike

"Gary''s Student" wrote: