Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default spreadsheet to keep track of phone numbers

First off I posted this question yesterday, but for some reason with my
internet server provider I was unable to see my post or any replies if
there were any, so please accept my apologies if anyone replied and I did
not reply to you.

The problem has now been resolved, so I hope it is acceptable to post again
given the problems I was having.

I am setting up a spreadsheet to keep track of phone numbers.

The workbook has worksheets named "A", "B", "C", "D" etc!

The first worksheet is named "Menu" and contains all the letters of the
alphabet with macros to link to the various worksheets, for example if I
click on "A" it will go to the worksheet named "A" that contains all company
names and phone numbers for companies that name starts with "A"

What I would like to do is set up a something on the "Menu" worksheet that
could search the workbook by the company name. For example if I was to type
a company name such as "AIB" it would return the number for "AIB".

Would this be possible and if so what would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Jul 12, 6:11*am, "Eamon" wrote:
[...]

can do this with a lookup formula assuming the company's name is
unique.

=VLOOKUP(A2, INDIRECT("'" & LEFT(A2) & "'!A:B"), 2, FALSE)
A2 is name to lookup
A:B is table to lookup on letter sheet, left column of table must be
the company name
2 is the index of the phone number column in the table