Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Counting specific letters in a cell

How do I count the number of specific letters in a given cell? For example
if a cell has the words "Have a nice day!" I would only want to count only
the letter "a." Is there some sort of IF-LEN-combo function? Help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"a",""))

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jul 3, 4:35*pm, Sandy wrote:
How do I count the number of specific letters in a given cell? *For example
if a cell has the words "Have a nice day!" I would only want to count only
the letter "a." *Is there some sort of IF-LEN-combo function? *Help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

=LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(UPPER(A1),"A",""))

--

HTH,

RD

"Sandy" wrote in message
How do I count the number of specific letters in a given cell? For example
if a cell has the words "Have a nice day!" I would only want to count only
the letter "a." Is there some sort of IF-LEN-combo function? Help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This works for:
"Have a nice day!"

As well as: