Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating Average

I am trying to calculate teh average of a column without counting blanks. How
can I do this? My current formula is =AVERAGE(X8:X26) but is counting blanks
in it. In that column, I have formulas to enter in the number needed...is
this a problem? Thanks for your help. Graham
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

By "blanks", do you mean zeroes? Average will ignore blank cells.

Your formula which returns values to X8:X26 could be amended along
these lines:

=IF(your_formula=0,"",your_formula)

to return formula blanks rather than zeroes.

Or you could use an array* formula:

=AVERAGE(IF(X8:X26<0,X8:X26,""))

*Commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not just Enter.

Hope this helps.

Pete