Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF function contingent upon cell not being blank

I an trying to use an IF function in a cell (lets say U83) but I do not want
to use the function if cell R83 is blank. As a matter of fact I want to
return a value of "N/A" in cell U83 if R83 is blank. This is The IF function
I used:
=IF(R83=" ","N/A",IF(S83R83,"N","1"))

Problem is that when R83 IS blank, the answer being returned in cell U83 is
"N" which comes from the second IF function. I want the first part of the IF
function to take precedent.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks...TommyB
--
TommyB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have a space between the first two quotes - this is not the same
as an empty cell. Change your formula to this:

=IF(R83="","N/A",IF(S83R83,"N","1"))

In the case where you return "1", this will be a text value. If you
want it to be a proper number, then you do not need the quotes around
the 1.

Hope this helps.

Pete