Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Chain IF formula help

Trying to do a chain of IF statements, which will then populate a field with
a value, which I'll later do a COUNTIF against to populate a report. I'm
trying to get this all one cell and it's not working, but I seem to be able
to get it into multiple cells. Some revision help would be greatly
appreciated. For

If A1 = Y, then "1"
If A1 = N, or null, then go to next part
If B1 = N, then "2"
If B1 = Y or null, then go to next part
If C1 is not null, then "3"
If C1 is null, then "4"

Ideally, on the first two nulls instead of chaining to the next part, I'd
return a value and end, but doing it this way seemed easier. More along what
I was looking for would be better, of course.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dave wrote:
Trying to do a chain of IF statements, which will then populate a field with
a value, which I'll later do a COUNTIF against to populate a report. I'm
trying to get this all one cell and it's not working, but I seem to be able
to get it into multiple cells. Some revision help would be greatly
appreciated. For

If A1 = Y, then "1"
If A1 = N, or null, then go to next part
If B1 = N, then "2"
If B1 = Y or null, then go to next part
If C1 is not null, then "3"
If C1 is null, then "4"

Ideally, on the first two nulls instead of chaining to the next part, I'd
return a value and end, but doing it this way seemed easier. More along what
I was looking for would be better, of course.

Thanks in advance for any help!

=IF(A1="Y",1,IF(B1="N",2,IF(C1="",4,3)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Should not be, but as these are manual entries fields, you have to assume
human error can and will happen. That said, I think I can use your formula
to give an out to the nulls when they occur (and create values "5" and "6",
for example). Going to give it a try...