Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default reference other worksheets via variable names

Is it possible to reference another worksheet by entering the name of that
worksheet in an input cell within the current worksheet and referencing this
cell within a function in the current worksheet.

example: current sheet name "Convert" cell C11 required to be = to cell H5
on another worksheet named either "word" or "report". The typical function
would be "=Word!H5" or "=Report!H5"

How do I make the "Word!" part of the above function a variable?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this:

A1 = Word

=INDIRECT("'"&A1&"'!H5")

Note that H5 becomes an absolute reference.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Huggy" wrote in message
Is it possible to reference another worksheet by entering the name of that
worksheet in an input cell within the current worksheet and referencing
this
cell within a function in the current worksheet.

example: current sheet name "Convert" cell C11 required to be = to cell H5
on another worksheet named either "word" or "report". The typical function
would be "=Word!H5" or "=Report!H5"

How do I make the "Word!" part of the above function a variable?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, exactly what I asked for. The absolute cell reference will work.

Is there a quick way to change about 100 cells that currently reference
cells (not in any set order) in another worksheet with your formuala to use
the variable worksheet name but keep the same cell reference, like the H5.

"Huggy" wrote in message
Is it possible to reference another worksheet by entering the name of that
worksheet in an input cell within the current worksheet and referencing
this
cell within a function in the current worksheet.

example: current sheet name "Convert" cell C11 required to be = to cell H5
on another worksheet named either "word" or "report". The typical function
would be "=Word!H5" or "=Report!H5"

How do I make the "Word!" part of the above function a variable?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is there a quick way to change about 100 cells that currently reference
cells (not in any set order) in another worksheet with your formuala to use
the variable worksheet name but keep the same cell reference, like the H5.

Hmmm...not that I can think of.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP