Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can cell entries be based on word entries in another cell ?

I want to set up a rent ledger. I have set it up so the rent amount pulls
from a calculation from a cell at the top of the worksheet. This is a two
line ledger sheet. The balance column is meant to keep a running total.

DATE ITEM Check # DEBITS CREDITS BALANCE
06/01/08 Rent $123.00 $123.00
06/10/08 Rent 1111 $0.00 ($123.00) $0.00
07/01/08 $123.00 $123.00
$0.00 $123.00
$123.00 $246.00

What I need to change on this spreadsheet is not showing entries in the
"Debits" or "Balance" columns unless a date or "Rent" in "Item" column is
entered in the same row. I want those cells to be blank and only show
current amounts vs. future amounts. How can this be accomplished?

I would appreciate assistance with this problem.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hello,

you can try something like this:
in the cells you want to be blank if there's no info in the DATE or ITEM
column, you put in " =if(A2<"";code TRUE;"")in the 1st cell in DEBITS as A2
is the 1ST cell in the DATE column. Repeat the process in the cells you need.

Best regards,