Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DAS DAS is offline

Default Yet another Average Function with mutl. Columns

In Column A, there are specific events that occured. In B there is each day
of the week for each month, Monday-Sunday. I am trying to average each day
of the week, from a total in Column E only if Column A is blank--Confused yet?

A B C
New Years Monday 01/01/2007
215
Tuesday 01/02/2007
82
Wednesday..etc 01/03/2007
75
MLK Monday 01/15/2007
118

The formula would omit both above Mondays because Column A isn't blank, and
include the remaining Mondays in the average, however it would avereage all
of the given Tuesdays throughout the month, because they are blank.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's my best guess...

This will average Tuesdays when col A is blank.

Array entered** :

=AVERAGE(IF((A1:A4="")*(B1:B4="Tuesday"),D1:D4))

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"DaS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
DAS DAS is offline

That worked perfectly! The only thing I was missing on my formula was the *
symbol. Thanks again!

"DaS" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"DaS" wrote in message
That worked perfectly! The only thing I was missing on my formula was the
*
symbol. Thanks again!