Pat

Default IF Statement help...

This may have been asked before but I had no idea what to search for. My
question is this:

Is it possible to make an IF Statement that says "If there is any value at
all in this cell, then leave the cell blank, if not then do this formula"

Here is my formula right now: =IF(M84=0,"",G84+1)
I'm pretty sure it's what I want, but I think Excel is reading a "blank
cell" as equal to "0", so I guess that's my problem. I apologize if this
doesn't make much sense and I can clarify if needed. I appreciate all input
and suggestions!
Thank you,
Patrick
JulieD

Hi Pat

=IF(M84<"","",G84+1)
< means not equal to
so M84<""
says if M84 is not equal to nothing, ie it has something in it

Cheers
JulieD

"Pat" wrote in message
This may have been asked before but I had no idea what to search for. My
question is this:

Is it possible to make an IF Statement that says "If there is any value at
all in this cell, then leave the cell blank, if not then do this formula"

Here is my formula right now: =IF(M84=0,"",G84+1)
I'm pretty sure it's what I want, but I think Excel is reading a "blank
cell" as equal to "0", so I guess that's my problem. I apologize if this
doesn't make much sense and I can clarify if needed. I appreciate all
input
and suggestions!
Thank you,
Patrick

Roger Govier

Hi Patrick

I think that you problem is that cell M84 contains a space on an unprintable
character. In such a case, than it is not = to 0 and the resukt will be
true, resulting in your calculation.

Try pressing the Delete button whilst in cell M84 and see if the result in
your cell with the formula alters.

--
Regards
Roger Govier
"Pat" wrote in message
This may have been asked before but I had no idea what to search for. My
question is this:

Is it possible to make an IF Statement that says "If there is any value at
all in this cell, then leave the cell blank, if not then do this formula"

Here is my formula right now: =IF(M84=0,"",G84+1)
I'm pretty sure it's what I want, but I think Excel is reading a "blank
cell" as equal to "0", so I guess that's my problem. I apologize if this
doesn't make much sense and I can clarify if needed. I appreciate all
input
and suggestions!
Thank you,
Patrick

Pat

Julie, Roger, and Bob--

Thanks for all the help. I feel like I'm much closer to solving this
problem. I did notice that when I deleted the existing formula in Cell M84,
my formula in G97 worked. However, I'm still running into the same problem.

I'm trying to get G97 to be blank if M84=0. (Julie I tried your suggestion
but it wasn't what I was looking for now that I think about it, though you
did answer my original question :) M84 has a formula in it but I don't think
that should affect G97, should it? My formula in G97 is: IF(M84=0,"",G96+1)
I'm fairly positive this is would do the trick, but maybe I'm missing
something?

This is really strange and I'm probably making it more complex than it
really is. Any other thoughts? If you need more clarification I'd be glad
to give it. I could also send my spreadsheet if that makes things easier.
Thanks again, this is a great forum!

Pat

Thanks for the quick reply Bob. Unfortunately it's not working! How
frustrating is that?? I am about to give up pretty soon.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=IF(AND(LEN(M84)<0,M84=0),"",G96+1)

--

HTH