Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookups...

Hi all,

Can you help?

I have the following data on one worksheet called lamps:

A B C D
1 ME4a 1 10 140w Cosmo
2 ME4b 1 8 140w Cosmo
3 S4 1 7 60w Cosmo
4 S5 1 6 55w PLL
5 S6 1 5 55w PLL
6 S5 1 6 60 Cosmo
7 S7 1 5 36w PLL
8 ME3b 2a 10 140w Cosmo
9 ME3c 2a 8 140w Cosmo
10 ME4a 2a 8 60w Cosmo
11 S4 2a 7 60w Cosmo
12 S5 2a 6 55w PLL
13 S5 2a 5 36w PLL
14 S3 2a 6 60w Cosmo
15 S7 2a 5 36w PLL

On another sheet I have the following entry:

A B C D
1 2A 7 S4

In cell D1 I wnat a function that will look for the 3 entries in column A -
C and return the value from column D on the lamps sheet. So the example
above should return 60w Cosmo.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I find it easier in a case like this to create a new unique reference
in the lamps sheet - insert a new column D and put this formula in:

=B1&C1&A1

Then copy this down to cover your data.

In D1 of your second sheet you can then enter ths formula:

=VLOOKUP(A1&B1&C1,lamps!D:E,2,0)

to return the corresponding description from what is now column E.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Jun 16, 4:24*pm, ajayb wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Ah, see, sometimes there's a pure and simple way of doing things! I was
getting all tied up with Index and match and whatnot!

Many thanks Pete, that was great.

Andy

On Jun 16, 4:24 pm, ajayb wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, Andy - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Jun 16, 7:38*pm, ajayb wrote:
Ah, see, sometimes there's a pure and simple way of doing things! *I was
getting all tied up with Index and match and whatnot!

Many thanks Pete, that was great.

Andy

V Lookups Sue T Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 October 30th 07 02:17 PM
need help with V lookups Scottinphx Excel Worksheet Functions 3 August 4th 06 10:04 PM
Maybe I need help with Lookups?? garry05 Excel Worksheet Functions 4 December 8th 05 02:26 AM
Lookups nick Excel Worksheet Functions 0 October 3rd 05 06:37 PM
LOOKUPS - Creating LOOKUPs where two different values must BOTH be satisfied. Mr Wiffy Excel Worksheet Functions 2 May 16th 05 04:29 AM