Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Comparing Model Numbers without a giant IF statement

Well this one is a doozy...

I have a column which is going to be fed model numbers of laptops from a
barcode reader. Each row is for a different barcode, and I have functions to
split it into its respective pieces already. What I've been having trouble on
is comparing the actual Model number (7 or 8 digit #) to a table I have which
lists all the known model numbers.

What I have now is a giant table which spans a few columns and takes the
Model number, compares it to the table on a separate sheet, and if it finds a
match, returns the model(T30,T41,T42... etc.) If it doesn't find a match it
fills in the cell with a non-printable character. Then I concatenate the
columns into one cell, and remove the non-printable characters, leaving the
laptop model.

Each comparison is done in its own cell, and basically what I'm wondering is
if there is a way for me to shrink this down. Eventually what I'll have is a
list of a couple hundred barcodes, and the giant "IF" table that I'm using
for comparisons seems unnecessary.

Here's an example of one of the rows that I use for figuring out the model:

S2=The model number
B#=The cell containing known model numbers
AA#=The cell containing model (T30,T41,T42 etc)
AA8=The cell containing the non-printable character

(Row 2)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B1,AA2,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B2,AA2,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B3,AA3,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B4,AA4,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B5,AA4,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B6,AA5,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B7,AA5,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B8,AA5,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B9,AA6,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B10,AA6,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B11,AA6,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B12,AA6,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B13,AA6,AA8)
=IF(S2='count of type'!B14,AA7,AA8)

There has to be a way for me to shrink this thing down to only a couple of
cells but I'm stumped, any takers? Thanks in advance!