gcn504

Default Matching Cells/columns

I'm very new to excel so apologies, here is what I want to attempt:

I have data in A, B, C, D, E & F

the data in E & F will match either A & C or B & D and sometimes
neither.

What I would like to do is have a formula in G which returns a letter,
lets say a, b or c depending on the match.

So: IF E&F MATCH A&C Send letter A, IF E&F MATCH B&D send letter b,
ELSE send letter C

Any guidance help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
GCN504

Jason Morin

Place this in G1 and copy down the column:

=IF(A1&C1=E1&F1,"A",IF(B1&D1=E1&F1,"B","C"))

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I'm very new to excel so apologies, here is what I want

to attempt:

I have data in A, B, C, D, E & F

the data in E & F will match either A & C or B & D and

sometimes
neither.

What I would like to do is have a formula in G which

returns a letter,
lets say a, b or c depending on the match.

So: IF E&F MATCH A&C Send letter A, IF E&F MATCH B&D

send letter b,
ELSE send letter C

Any guidance help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
GCN504

.

gcn504

Thanks that did help.

I was concerned what you did above was a mathmetical sum rather than
say a match:

So, say A=2 and C=3 and B=3 and D=2 with E 2 F 3. The match would be
with A&C

however, I tested it and with various values and it does work on Match
rather than sum. Thanks

I don't suppose you know an easy way of changing the value of the row
for the if statement. I could have upto 700 rows would I have to
manually change the value in each if?

Thanks again.

Jason Morin

You don't need to change the row numbers in the formula.
Just place the formula in row 1, and copy the formula
down the column. Or copy it directly to a specific row.

Jason

I was concerned what you did above was a mathmetical sum

rather than
say a match:

So, say A=2 and C=3 and B=3 and D=2 with E 2 F 3. The

match would be
with A&C

however, I tested it and with various values and it does

work on Match
rather than sum. Thanks

I don't suppose you know an easy way of changing the

value of the row
for the if statement. I could have upto 700 rows would

I have to
manually change the value in each if?

Thanks again.

.

gcn504

sorry I may have misunderstood.

I have upto 700 rows which i want to compare and use the formula above.
By leaving it as:
IF(A1&C1=3DE1&F1,"A",IF(B1&D1=3DE=AD1&F1,"B","C"))

Wouldn't each formula always check row 1? So I want to put this
formula in each row at column G but if I put the above in row 35 would
it check row 1 and give me that result?

So rather than manually change this upto 700 times to reflect the row
it's in - can this be done some other way?

Jason Morin

You didn't try what I suggested. Do this *before* you=20
come back with more questions.

1. Paste the formula in row 1.
2. Now copy the cell and paste it in row 35 of the same=20
column.

The references will change to row 35. You should see this:

=3DIF(A35&C35=3DE35&F35,"A",IF(B35&D35=3DE35&F35," B","C"))

Jason

gcn504

Apologies I did try but it wasn't working. However, the mistake I made
was copying from the original text that I'd saved rather than copy from
the CELL so the row number never changed.

It works now: thanks for your help