Old May 30th 08, 12:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Escalation Formula

First, thank you for looking at this post and any and all help you can offer.

Is there a formula to calculate escalation?
Say I have a price of $1,000, the average increase is 4.5% per year and I
want to escalate the 1000 over a 10 year period. Could this be done? I'm
trying to find the result for each year and then separately for year 10.

Thank you for your help
Joe

Old May 30th 08, 01:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

assuming

a1 = 1000
b1 = 4,5%
c1 = # of years (1,2..10)
d1 =(a1*(1+b1)^c1)

change c1 to see the result as you need

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old May 30th 08, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you wish...

=FV(4.5%,C1,,-1000)

where C1 is the year in question.

--
HTH :)
Dana DeLouis

Old May 30th 08, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for the formula it works perfectly, I appreciate your help and
response. One question, why do you use a -1000? I used the formula without it
and I received a negative answer for the value but why does this formula
require a -1000?

Joe

Old May 30th 08, 03:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It's amazing what you can find in the help index for FV. Look there.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

news