DoctorG

Default How can I look up data in a different workbook in an excel spread.

My spreadsheet has three worksheets - Sheet1, Sheet2, and Data.
The Data worksheet has several columns of different lengths that contain
data to be used in several dropdown lookup lists on both Sheet1 and Sheet2.
Both Sheet1 and Sheet2 use the same columns of data.

I can not use Data Validation lists to look these up because this function
requires that the lookup lists be in the same worksheet. I can use a ComboBox
to lookup the data, but I am unable to format the cells containing the combo
boxes, which appear with small fonts, no matter how the original cell or the
cells in Data are formatted, and there is no formatting option on the
ComboBox properties tab.

How can I look up and properly format cells containing lookup lists without
having to repeat the data on the two worksheets?

Max

I can not use Data Validation lists to look these up
because this function requires that the
lookup lists be in the same worksheet ..

If you use a named range/list, you can ..

DV Settings tab
----------
Allow List
Source: =MyList

where MyList is a named range
refering to the DV items in say, Sheet2

Try Debra's page at:

Rgds
Max
xl 97
---
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----
"DoctorG" wrote in message
[...]

Fredrik Wahlgren

"DoctorG" wrote in message
[...]

In Data, you can use something like =Sheet1!A1
The data is now in the same worksheet. This will give you the data from a
different worksheet. The subject line mentions a different workbook. Did you
make a typo?

/Fredrik

DoctorG

Yes, the use of a named range works! For some reason, I had been trying to
use $MyList instead of just MyList (where MyList is the name I had assigned
to the data range for the list) in the validation formula, and it never
worked. Thanks for showing me my error!

"DoctorG" wrote in message
[...]

JulieD

Hi

you said:
I can not use Data Validation lists to look these up because this function
requires that the lookup lists be in the same worksheet.

this is, in fact, not correct - check out
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal05.html for instructions on how to
achieve this - however, you can't format the font size in data / validation
drop down boxes either - but check out
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Font for ideas on this one too.

Cheers
JulieD

"DoctorG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TheDude

Default How can I look up data in a different workbook in an excel spr

is there a way to reference a validation list from a different WORKBOOK?

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:

"DoctorG" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Debra Dalgleish

You can use a list from another open workbook, as described he

"Fredrik Wahlgren" wrote:

"DoctorG" wrote in message

[...]

Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
TheDude

I take it there's no way to do it if the workbook is CLOSED though? Has
anyone developed a workaround on this issue?