alazydaydreamer

Default Deleting content

Hello there,

I am working with an excel sheets that has over 3000 products in our inventory

The first column contains the part number. Each part number has a three
letter code (different for each vendor we carry) followed by a space and then
the part number.

My question is, is there ANY way to delete the three letter code plus the
space all at once without having to use the find /replace option for EACH
vendor?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Alissa
N Harkawat

Assuming your part number is on column A On column B type
=mid(a1,5,1024) and copy is down
Then select column B - copy-paste special Values
you can delete col A now if you have to

"alazydaydreamer" wrote in
message ...
Hello there,

I am working with an excel sheets that has over 3000 products in our
inventory

The first column contains the part number. Each part number has a three
letter code (different for each vendor we carry) followed by a space and
then
the part number.

My question is, is there ANY way to delete the three letter code plus the
space all at once without having to use the find /replace option for EACH
vendor?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Alissa

Duke Carey

Insert a new column A, then use this formula in the new column

=RIGHT(B1,LEN(B1)-4)

Note - this will return the number as text, & you may want that if you need
to preserve leading zeros. If that's not a concern and you actually want
nunbers, use

=VALUE(RIGHT(B1,LEN(B1)-4))

Copy the formula down as far as you need it.

To convert it from a formula to a value - select the entire column of
formulas, press Ctrl-C, then press Alt-E, S, V and hit Enter

Duke

"alazydaydreamer" wrote:

Hello there,

I am working with an excel sheets that has over 3000 products in our inventory

The first column contains the part number. Each part number has a three
letter code (different for each vendor we carry) followed by a space and then
the part number.

My question is, is there ANY way to delete the three letter code plus the
space all at once without having to use the find /replace option for EACH
vendor?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Alissa

RagDyer

Select the column with the part numbers, then:

<Data <Text To Columns
Check "Fixed Width", then,
<Next
Click on, and drag the break line to separate the data as you wish, then,
<Next

You can now decide on several options:

1 To keep the original column of data, and create 2 new columns of
*separated* data, click in the "Destination" window and enter the address of
the column to start receiving the separated data (ie, G1), then click
<Finish.

2 To separate the data into 2 separate columns, starting in the original
column, click <Finish

3 To "throw away" the 3 letter code, and keep the part number *only*, in
the original column, make sure the code section is selected (black), and
click in "Do Not Import Column".
You'll see the header change from "General" to *Skip*.
Then click <Finish

There are a few more options which I'm sure you can figure out from just
these examples.

--

HTH,

RD