Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Is merging rows possible?

Hello again. I appreciate your help in the past and would appreciate your
assistance here.

Below is a sample file I created in Excel as a *.csv file so you may paste
it into your worksheet and see a sample of what I'm trying to do.

My client will give me data that appears something like Step 1 below (in XLS
format). I sort the customer names (which are actually numbers in the file)
to reach an ascending order of customers.

As you can see, any customer could have ordered all three services or any
one or two in any order on the list.

Step 3 (End Result) is really what I'm trying to accomplish. I need to merge
these rows into one for each customer.

We are using Excel 2000 at work. Initially I'd first like to know if Excel
200 can do this, but I'm also interested if this is possible in any version
of Excel as I may be able to convince them to get a license for 2007.

I hope this all makes sense.
Thank you again for any assistance you can offer.

MrBT

STEP 1,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,Products,,,Services,
,,,,Prod 1,Prod 2,Prod 3,Svc 1,Svc 2,Svc 3
Customer 1,,,,,X,,X,,
Customer 2,,,,,,X,X,,
Customer 1,,,,,X,,,,X
Customer 3,,,,,,X,,,X
Customer 3,,,,,,X,,X,
Customer 2,,,,,,X,,X,
Customer 4,,,,,X,,,X,
Customer 5,,,,X,,,,,X
Customer 3,,,,,,X,X,,
Customer 2,,,,,,X,,,X
Customer 4,,,,,X,,X,,

STEP 2,,,,,,,,,
,,,,,Products,,,Services,
,,,,Prod 1,Prod 2,Prod 3,Svc 1,Svc 2,Svc 3
Customer 1,,,,,X,,X,,
Customer 1,,,,,X,,,,X
Customer 2,,,,,,X,X,,
Customer 2,,,,,,X,,X,
Customer 2,,,,,,X,,,X
Customer 3,,,,,,X,,,X
Customer 3,,,,,,X,,X,
Customer 3,,,,,,X,X,,
Customer 4,,,,,X,,,X,
Customer 4,,,,,X,,X,,
Customer 5,,,,X,,,,,X

STEP 3,,,,,,,,,

,,,,,Products,,,Services,
,,,,Prod 1,Prod 2,Prod 3,Svc 1,Svc 2,Svc 3
Customer 1,,DELETED,,,X,,,,
Customer 1,,,,,X,,X,,X
Customer 2,,DELETED,,,,X,,,
Customer 2,,DELETED,,,,X,,,
Customer 2,,,,,,X,X,X,X
Customer 3,,DELETED,,,,X,,,
Customer 3,,DELETED,,,,X,,,
Customer 3,,,,,,X,X,X,X
Customer 4,,DELETED,,,X,,,,
Customer 4,,,,,X,,X,X,
Customer 5,,,,X,,,,,X

STEP 3 (END RESULT),,,,,,,,,

,,,,,Products,,,Services,
,,,,Prod 1,Prod 2,Prod 3,Svc 1,Svc 2,Svc 3
Customer 1,,,,,X,,X,,X
Customer 2,,,,,,X,X,X,X
Customer 3,,,,,,X,X,X,X
Customer 4,,,,,X,,X,X,
Customer 5,,,,X,,,,,X

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

[...]

I did find something on the net that seemed like it could assist me with
this.

If I enter a blank line between customers, I can use EditGoTo and Blanks
and = uparrow then Ctrl+ENTER

This some what works. Maybe if there is something I can incorporate where it
would autmatically the duplicate, enter the blank line once for each
customer.

Then from there the Ctrl+ENTER will allow me to remove the unwanted customer
lines.