Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formatting imported data

Hey all:

I'm temping at a non-profit organization and am SHOCKED at the number
of different spreadsheets everyone has using essentially the same data
with their own added tweaks. We waste so much time inputing the same
data again and again it is atrocious. I've been given a little leway,
and so am currently trying to reorganize things so that all base
information is stored and upkept by me in a central spreadsheet, then
the necessary data is imported into separate sheets for those who need
it. Of course, as I update the central workbook, I need the data in
their sheets to update too. I've got this figured, but importing all
data into separate workbooks then deleting the columns they don't
need. When they click update, it updates as per the data in my central
workbook. The problem is, how can I maintain the formatting they have
applied to the data when it updates? For example, they may have
highlighted specific data a certain color, but if another row inserts
when it updates the formatting sticks to the cell and not the data, so
the incorrect data is now highlighted. Is there a way around this?
I've tried conditional formatting, but can only get it to highlight
specific cells, not the entire row that this data appears in.

ANY ideas or suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

Chris