Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I display the first business day of the month?

Is there a funtion I can use to automatically pick up the first business day
of the month based on a given date?

For instance, if today is 5/14/08, I would like a function to pull in the
first business day of the month (5/1/08), based on 5/14/08.

I have tried using the Workday function, but this function requires you to
put in the number of holidays you would like to exclude and doesn't always
work out.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:46:04 -0700, Needhelp!
wrote:

Is there a funtion I can use to automatically pick up the first business day
of the month based on a given date?

For instance, if today is 5/14/08, I would like a function to pull in the
first business day of the month (5/1/08), based on 5/14/08.

I have tried using the Workday function, but this function requires you to
put in the number of holidays you would like to exclude and doesn't always
work out.

The WORKDAY function should work fine. The Holidays argument is optional, NOT
"required". Although it's use would seem to be of value if holidays should be
taken into account.

In any event, with your date in A1,

=WORKDAY(A1-DAY(A1),1)

will give you the first non-weekend day of the month in A1.

A list of holiday dates can be kept in a range of cells, and a reference to
that range optionally used in the Workday function.
--ron