Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default simple Lookups in external xls files..

Hi,

I need a solution to the following problem.

I have a template for each member of staff [e.g John Doe Time Tracking.xls]
(for about 50 people) to track time spent on particular activities (projects)
and which company they are employed by.

Because the lists of Companies, Projects and EMployment Status may change
from time to time, I would like to maintain this in a centralised spreadsheet
rather than in each of the 50+ worksheets that each member of staff updates.

So on every template, I would need the following:
Cell: $F$5 to select from Range A1:A6 in Lookup.xls'Organisation'
Cell: $F$6 to select from Range A1:A3 in Lookup.xls'Employment Status'
Cells: $L5:$L100 to select from Range A1:A12 in Lookup.xls'Projects' and
then populate Column K & M based on the selection for Column L (Hope this
makes sense)

What I have done to achieve this, is on the template.xls
Cell $F$5 = A1:A6 in Lookup.xls'Organisation'
Cell $F$6 = A1:A3 in Lookup.xls'Employment Status'

I am still left with a slight problem when it comes to the "Projects Lookup"

Each Project has 3 pieces of static information:
1. Project Name 2. REF#1 3. REF#2

On the template sheet,
Cells: $L5:$L100 to select (As a drop down list) from Range A1:A12 in
Lookup.xls'Projects'. Based on that selection, the corresponding data i.e
REF#1 and REF#2 to be populated into Column K and M respectively.

If I need to shuffle around the order of my columns to get this working I'm
happy to do that, but need a little hand wtih this tricky lookup..

HELP!

Kind regards

Sharon