Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Condiitonal formatting-colored cell

I would like a cell to turn yellow if I start a sentence with an *, if there
is no *, then no color.

How would I phrase this in the conditional formatting option?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use formula is

=ISNUMBER(SEARCH("if there is no",A2))

in the example you would change the appearance of A2

I assume you know how to select the format in the pattern tab

Peo Sjoblom

"Diane" wrote in message
I would like a cell to turn yellow if I start a sentence with an *, if
there
is no *, then no color.

How would I phrase this in the conditional formatting option?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, but I am not understanding your formula.
All I want to do is go in the Format/conditional formatting, and findout
what formula I should put in there to:
I have a row (merged cells) where I need to write text. I want the row to
turn yellow if I start the text with an asterix*. If there is no asterix*,
then it can stay no fill.
Thanks.

"Diane" wrote in message
I would like a cell to turn yellow if I start a sentence with an *, if
there
is no *, then no color.

How would I phrase this in the conditional formatting option?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

With example in A7
=LEFT(A7,1)="*"

if you leave the $ that it puts by default it will mess you up.
--
-John
is helpful.

"Diane" wrote:

I would like a cell to turn yellow if I start a sentence with an *, if there
is no *, then no color.

How would I phrase this in the conditional formatting option?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What I put there is exactly what you are going to put there after you select
formula is
then click the format button and select a yellow pattern. Replace A2 in the
formula with the cell you want to use

Peo Sjoblom

"Diane" wrote in message
I would like a cell to turn yellow if I start a sentence with an *, if
there
is no *, then no color.

How would I phrase this in the conditional formatting option?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you were looking to find the words
"if there is no"

Use

=TRIM(LEFT(A2))="*"

Peo Sjoblom