Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Which function do I use?

I have long lists of orders which I can easily sort but what I would like to
do next is choose a column (e.g. order number) and have just the first
occurrence of each number returned.
Everyone here seems to think that they know how to do this but no one has
got as far as proving it yet.

Cheers
--
I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It probably will if I can fix the array.
I inserted the function to order b2 in the array b2:b250 but when I copied
this to b3 the array moved to b3:b251 and so on.
If I can get the array to stay the same I could be getting somewhere.

Thanks for your reply anyway

--

"Denzoid" wrote in message
I have long lists of orders which I can easily sort but what I would like
do next is choose a column (e.g. order number) and have just the first
occurrence of each number returned.
Everyone here seems to think that they know how to do this but no one has
got as far as proving it yet.

Cheers
--
I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It may do if I can fix the array.
I wrote the function to order b2 in the array b2:b250 but when I copied the
function to b3 the array moved to b3:b251 and so on.
If I can fix the array at b2:b250 without typing each cell I might be
getting somewhere.

Thanks for your help it has at least pointed me in the right direction.
--

"Denzoid" wrote in message
I have long lists of orders which I can easily sort but what I would like
do next is choose a column (e.g. order number) and have just the first
occurrence of each number returned.
Everyone here seems to think that they know how to do this but no one has
got as far as proving it yet.

Cheers
--
I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

B$2:B$250
Look in Excel help for absolute and relative addressing.
--
David Biddulph

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=MATCH(order_num,list_of_nums,0)

will return the index number of that order. Does that get you anywhere?

--
HTH

Bob

addy)