Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default HOW DO I GET A CELL TO RETURN A NEIGHBORING CELL'S VALUE

this is a stupid question i know, but please help. i have 2 columns
containing corresponding data, i.e. cell a6 contains the item i sell, cell b6
the price of that item. i have 148 different items, with 148 corresponding
prices - in cells a6 through a154, corresponding with cells b6..b154. i want
to create a drop down list in, say column d, where the contents of column a
is displayed via the drop down list in each of the cells in my list in column
d (cells a6..a148). what i then want is when i select, say the "doorbell",
in the dropdown list of my cell d12 in column d that the price of the
doorbell is automatically displayed next to d12 in e12. how do i do it?
thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Go to Help and read up on VLOOKUP. Then come back if more help is neeeded
best wishes
--
Bernard Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP
"des-sa" wrote in message
this is a stupid question i know, but please help. i have 2 columns
containing corresponding data, i.e. cell a6 contains the item i sell, cell
b6
the price of that item. i have 148 different items, with 148
corresponding
prices - in cells a6 through a154, corresponding with cells b6..b154. i
want
to create a drop down list in, say column d, where the contents of column
is displayed via the drop down list in each of the cells in my list in
column
d (cells a6..a148). what i then want is when i select, say the
"doorbell",
in the dropdown list of my cell d12 in column d that the price of the
doorbell is automatically displayed next to d12 in e12. how do i do it?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Watch this 5 min video:

How to setup a data validation drop down list:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM

Once you get the drop down list setup, see this for how to get the price for
the product:

http://contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"des-sa" wrote in message
this is a stupid question i know, but please help. i have 2 columns
containing corresponding data, i.e. cell a6 contains the item i sell, cell
b6
the price of that item. i have 148 different items, with 148
corresponding
prices - in cells a6 through a154, corresponding with cells b6..b154. i
want
to create a drop down list in, say column d, where the contents of column
is displayed via the drop down list in each of the cells in my list in
column
d (cells a6..a148). what i then want is when i select, say the
"doorbell",
in the dropdown list of my cell d12 in column d that the price of the
doorbell is automatically displayed next to d12 in e12. how do i do it?
thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 7, 7:22 am, des-sa wrote:
this is a stupid question i know, but please help. i have 2 columns
containing corresponding data, i.e. cell a6 contains the item i sell, cell b6
the price of that item. i have 148 different items, with 148 corresponding
prices - in cells a6 through a154, corresponding with cells b6..b154. i want
to create a drop down list in, say column d, where the contents of column a
is displayed via the drop down list in each of the cells in my list in column
d (cells a6..a148). what i then want is when i select, say the "doorbell",
in the dropdown list of my cell d12 in column d that the price of the
doorbell is automatically displayed next to d12 in e12. how do i do it?
thanks.

=VLOOKUP(D12,$A$6:$B$154,2,FALSE)

Ken Johnson