Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need help with formula

=F51*Summary!$J$18/12

This is a formula in a spreadsheet that I am using. It figures interest.
The interest rate has changed and I am not familiar with "Summary" or $ or J
or $ or where the 18 comes from. I know F51* and I know /12. Can someone
explain the other characters to me?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Summary!$J$18

That is a reference to cell J18 on a worksheet (tab) named Summary.

The ! lets Excel know that what preceds it is a sheet name: Summary!

The $ signs make the reference to cell J18 absolute (locked). If you copy
that formula it will always refer to cell J18.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Ed B." <Ed wrote in message
=F51*Summary!$J$18/12

This is a formula in a spreadsheet that I am using. It figures interest.
The interest rate has changed and I am not familiar with "Summary" or $ or
or $ or where the 18 comes from. I know F51* and I know /12. Can someone
explain the other characters to me?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Summary! refers to a worksheet in your workbook
$ is locking to J row as well as $18 is referring to Cell 18 and is divided
by 12
When $ in placed in front of a Row or Cell, if you drag the formula to other
cells, they will continue to reference row J Cell 18. Without the $, when
dragged - you would begin to see them change in sequential order depending on
the direction that you were dragging the formula to the next cell. IE -
pulled down the row would change to K - pulled right the cell would change to
19, etc.

So your Formula of =F51(times Row J Cell 18 divided by 12 in worksheet named
Summary)
--
Hope this helps!
Susan