Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Create totals for close-matching names?

I want to insert a total in column C for names in column A that have the
first several characters matching (I was thinking of using the LEFT
function), but I only want the total to appear when the aggregate amount for
a name is more than 100.

Can anyone help me?

A B C
Contributor Name Amount Over 100?
ABBOTT DOROTHY C 25
ABBOTT DOROTHY C 15
ABBOTT KATE 100
ABBOTT KATE J 50
ABDO MICHAEL 25
ABE KUMI 1400
ABELES KATHLEEN K 100
ABELL NANCY 10
ABELLERA EDDIE 25
ABELLERA ELLEN 25
ABELLERA ELLEN M 100
ABELLERA ELLEN M 200
ABELLERA ELLEN M 50

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for your help, Don. Unfortunately I can't get that formula to work.
I tried it, and changed your "G" and "H" columns to "A" and "B." In the
sample data I posted, there are a few entries that should result in a 100
total appearing in column C, but the column remains blank when I paste your
formula.

Beyond that, I think there may be a larger problem. The formula you
suggested seems to test for names with the first three characters "abd." My
actual data table is thousands of rows, and contains names A through Z. Some
names gave once, some twice, and some have given ten or more times.

Basically, I just want to know who gave more than 100. What formula would
total the contributions for close matches of a given name (say, matching the
first 15 characters), wherever that name appears in the alphabet, and no
matter how many time that name contributed?

Let me know if I've messed up somehow, or if I misunderstood what you were
trying to do...

t_perkins

"Don Guillett" wrote:

=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(LEFT($G$3:$G$33,3)="abd"),$H$3:$H$33)<100,"",SUMP RODUCT(--(LEFT($G$3:$G$33,3)="abd"),$H$3:$H$33))

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"t_perkins" wrote in message
I want to insert a total in column C for names in column A that have the
first several characters matching (I was thinking of using the LEFT
function), but I only want the total to appear when the aggregate amount
for
a name is more than 100.

Can anyone help me?

A B C
Contributor Name Amount Over 100?
ABBOTT DOROTHY C 25
ABBOTT DOROTHY C 15
ABBOTT KATE 100
ABBOTT KATE J 50
ABDO MICHAEL 25
ABE KUMI 1400
ABELES KATHLEEN K 100
ABELL NANCY 10
ABELLERA EDDIE 25
ABELLERA ELLEN 25
ABELLERA ELLEN M 100
ABELLERA ELLEN M 200
ABELLERA ELLEN M 50

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I thought I gave you exactly what you asked for.
" I want to insert a total in column C for names in column A that have the
first several characters matching (I was thinking of using the LEFT

So, I gave you one for the first 3 characters "abd" for rows 3:33. Of
course, you would need to modify to suit your needs. If all else fails send
your workbook to the address below with COMPLETE details and examples of
what you want.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"t_perkins" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks much Don, I may take you up on that if I don't have a breakthrough
soon. One thing that confused me about your formula is that there were no
names beginning with "abd" in my sample data that matched the specified
criteria (i.e., having given more than 100) but there *were* names that began
with "abb" or "abe." However, even when I tried entering those character
strings in the formula, I still got no results.

Can anyone else out there recommend another way to go about this? All
suggestions are appreciated.

"t_perkins" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

ABDO MICHAEL 25
I DID test what I sent and got 190 for Abbott (Dorothy & Kate) and only 25
for abdo so NOT shown.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

[...]