Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula within a formula

We are attempting to usa a formula within a formula. Our first formula is a
lookup between two tabs and it returns a "Y" or "N" in tab one for our
research purpose. A "Y" if it found the same name in the tab 2, and an "N"
if it did not find the name in the 2nd tab. Let's say that it gives us the
desired result in column G. Is it possible to expand on the existing
formula? If we get a "Y", meaning it found a name match, we want it to look
at the date associated with the name in the 2nd tab and put it in column H,
directly next to the "Y". The dates are in column B, 2nd tab, and here is
what we've encountered. The formula we have used will return a "Y" or "N" as
stated earlier, and it will look at the date in column B, but it starts at
the very top and just goes right down the column, in order. So, John Doe
might be found in row 4,356 in the 2nd tab, and instead of looking at the
date in column B on row 4,356 and returning that in column H in our first
tab, it will just continue with where it left off from the top of column B in
sequential order. Does that make sense? Just trying to make sure this
easily understood, please forgive my redundancy. Here is a copy of the
formula we currently have: =IF(ISNA(MATCH(F2,'Payee Changes
List'!H:H,0)),"no",'Payee Changes List'!B:B). Obviously our 2nd tab is
titled "Payee Changes List", the names are in column H and the dates in
column B. Is it possible to do what we are attempting? Thanks for any and
all help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=IF(ISNA(MATCH(F2,'Payee Changes List'!H:H,0)),"",INDEX('Payee Changes List'!B:B,MATCH(F2,'PAyee
Changes List'!H:H,0)))

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP