mr_chattaway

Default Locating a value in a range from a reference.

Afternoon,

I'm looking at trying to find a value on a worksheet using a text string but
cannot seem to get any formula to work (I cannot use VB on any sheets).

A brief example of what I am trying to do:

"Sheet 1"

A B C
Bob ? ? ?
John ? ? ?
Sue ? ? ?

?=the formula

This searches sheet 2

"Sheet 2"
8 9 10 11
John a
Bob a
Sue c

What should happen is that on sheet 1 it will find where 'a' is and the ?
will change to 9 for John (8 for bob, etc)

I have tried to use INDEX,MATCH,LOOKUP,LOOKDOWN,LOOKSLIGHTLYBEMUSED and I
can't seem to build a combination that works.

Hope someone can help, if it's not possible no worries (I can then show the
powers-that-be that it can't be done so they can stop asking for it.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Matt