Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I want to create a function or formula

Could somebody please help me simplify my life? I am using Office Excel 2003
I need to create a function in Excel where I have lenth in inches in one
column, multiplied by width in inches in another column, divided by 144 to
get total square feet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for asking that question David. This is something I might be wrong at
and I am sure you can correct me. I just wanted to make sure that the
formula first multiplies A2 and B2 and then divides the result by 144.

In your formula, is it possible that the formula multiplies A2 by (B2
divided by 144)? Or is it like what we write first happens first?

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote in message
Is there any reason not to use =A2*B2/144 (copied down appropriately) ?
--
David Biddulph

"John Weller" <John wrote in message
Could somebody please help me simplify my life? I am using Office Excel
2003
I need to create a function in Excel where I have lenth in inches in one
column, multiplied by width in inches in another column, divided by 144
get total square feet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What is the difference between (A2*B2)/144 and A2*(B2/144), Gaurav?

As in many cases in this newsgroup, this is, of course, not an Excel
question, but a question of mathematics.

[But if you want to demonstrate it with Excel, you can put some example
numbers in your spreadsheet and try the following formulae:
=(A2*B2)/144
=A2*(B2/144)
=A2*B2/144

If you want to go a stage further, you can put =A2*B2 in cell D2, put
=B2/144 in E2, and then try =D2/144 and =A2*E2.]
--
David Biddulph