Old April 25th 08, 08:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I sum up random cells

I want to add up the values of various discontiguous cells in a worksheet
e.g. A2+A7+C4+D7+G3. What is the quickest way to do this? The autosum
function doesn't seem to work for this. Excel 2003. Thanks.

Old April 25th 08, 08:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If your question is as simple as it sounds, then just put an equal sign in
front of what you posted and place that in a cell...

=A2+A7+C4+D7+G3

However, you use of the word "random" in the subject line seems to indicate
you might have a more complex question... do you?

Rick

Old April 25th 08, 08:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rick, let me try to explain better. Say I want to add up the values of 40
different cells which are located all over the page (not in order neither
vertically nor horizontally). How do I do that? If I were to follow your
advice and type in the + sign and the cells it would take me for
ages...Thanks.

Old April 25th 08, 09:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hello,

You might want to sum from the smallest column and row index up to the
highest (SUM(A2:G7)) if no other "unwanted" numbers appear in that
area.

Or you mark all wanted cells with a special number format (currency
different from other numbers, for example) and you sum by that format
condition, for example with a UDF such as:
Function smf(r As Range)
'Sum my format: sums up all values in r which have
'the same format as calling cell (where this
'function is called from).
Dim v

With Application.Caller
For Each v In r
If v.NumberFormat = .NumberFormat Then
smf = smf + v
End If
Next v
End With

End Function

Or you mark them with a special background colour and sum by that
(http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/sum-count-cells-by-color.htm).

If you cannot separate wanted numbers from unwanted ones
("include" (=specify) your wanted numbers or "exclude" unwanted ones)
this will be difficult :-)

Regards,
Bernd

Old April 25th 08, 10:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Unfortunately I don't think you can grab that info.

You could write a simple macro

Range("A1").Value = Application.Sum(Selection)

assign that to a button and click that when the selection is made.

--
HTH

Bob

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Select the random cells using CTrl-Click, then look in the bottom right
of
the statusbar, you will see a sum. If it is count, right-click and select
SUM.

--
HTH

Bob

addy)

Old April 25th 08, 10:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Josh,

Another way, type =SUM( in the cell where you want the total,
Then click on your first cell and tap comma
click on the second cell and tap comma etc. etc.

You are limited to 30 numbers but any contiguous range in the
selection will only count as 1 number. i.e =SUM(A4,C7,D713,F15)
would only count as 4 numbers.

Obviously it is still a bit awkward, but it is better than typing
out the formula.

HTH
Martin

Old April 25th 08, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Apr 25, 4:43 am, "MartinW" wrote:
Hi Josh,

Another way, type =SUM( in the cell where you want the total,
Then click on your first cell and tap comma
click on the second cell and tap comma etc. etc.

You are limited to 30 numbers but any contiguous range in the
selection will only count as 1 number. i.e =SUM(A4,C7,D713,F15)
would only count as 4 numbers.

Obviously it is still a bit awkward, but it is better than typing
out the formula.

Select the random cells using CTrl-Click, then look in the bottom right
of
the statusbar, you will see a sum. If it is count, right-click and select
SUM.

--
HTH

Bob

You can combine these 2 suggestions I quoted for a bit faster usage.
Type =SUM( or just hit Autosum button, then CTRL-Click all the random
cells that you want.
Old April 25th 08, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Martin

To SUM more than 30 cells use double parens.

=SUM((A1,A3,A5,.........A123))

Don't know what the limit is..........too lazy to check but if you run it out
let us know if you find a limit<g

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP