Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can I set a cell value to a filter selection in Excel?

I have auto filter on for a set of row headers and would like to populate a
cell with the number of rows that match the filter selection. If my row
entries in this column are "Yes" and "No", for example, I'd like to show the
number of "Yes" entries in the column when I filter by "Yes" or "No" when
filtered by "No".

A pivot table is over kill for my solution.

Thanks in advance!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Let's say 'Response' is in A1.
all the Yes and No responses are in A2:A30.
=SUBTOTAL(3,A2:A30)
Filter your list and see what happens.

Regards,
Ryan--

--
RyGuy

"TC in CT" wrote:

I have auto filter on for a set of row headers and would like to populate a
cell with the number of rows that match the filter selection. If my row
entries in this column are "Yes" and "No", for example, I'd like to show the
number of "Yes" entries in the column when I filter by "Yes" or "No" when
filtered by "No".

A pivot table is over kill for my solution.

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ken Ken is offline

I searched and found this formula and works as it's noted below, however, so
I can learn how this is done instead of copying, can you tell me what the 3,
reference represents in the formula?

"TC in CT" wrote:

I have auto filter on for a set of row headers and would like to populate a
cell with the number of rows that match the filter selection. If my row
entries in this column are "Yes" and "No", for example, I'd like to show the
number of "Yes" entries in the column when I filter by "Yes" or "No" when
filtered by "No".

A pivot table is over kill for my solution.

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Look in Excel help for the SUBTOTAL function. It'll tell you what all the
index numbers mean.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"TC in CT" wrote:

I have auto filter on for a set of row headers and would like to
populate a
cell with the number of rows that match the filter selection. If my
row
entries in this column are "Yes" and "No", for example, I'd like to
show the
number of "Yes" entries in the column when I filter by "Yes" or "No"
when
filtered by "No".

A pivot table is over kill for my solution.

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can learn more by typing "subtotal" into the Excel help dialog.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP