Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default if condition

Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A B C D
ABC XYZ
DEF DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do but does this help?

=IF(AND(A1="abc",B1="xyz"),"Do this is true","Do this is false")

Mike

"Christopher Naveen" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A B C D
ABC XYZ
DEF DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Don't think it's clear what you're trying to do.
Can you elaborate further?
--
Max
Singapore
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the
below
formula.

A B C D
ABC XYZ
DEF DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Please explain in words what you are trying to do.

Pete

On Apr 22, 9:10*am, Christopher Naveen
wrote:
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A * * * *B * * * *C * * * * D
ABC * *XYZ * * * * * * *
DEF * * * * * * * * * * * * *DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Let me explain u in words. if cell A1 is "ABC" then overwrite the cell b1 as
"XYZ" (cell B1 may contain some value, I need to overwrite it as "XYZ") and
if the condition is false then take the value of A1. (Formula I entered in
D1).

I hope now u can understand my requirement.

-Chr

wrote:
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A B C D
ABC XYZ
DEF DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Let me explain u in words. if cell A1 is "ABC" then overwrite the cell b1 as
"XYZ" (cell B1 may contain some value, I need to overwrite it as "XYZ") and
if the condition is false then take the value of A1. (Formula I entered in
D1).

I hope now u can understand my requirement.

Sorry for the inconvinience.

-Chr

"Max" wrote:

Don't think it's clear what you're trying to do.
Can you elaborate further?
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"Christopher Naveen" wrote in
message ...
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the
below
formula.

A B C D
ABC XYZ
DEF DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A * * * *B * * * *C * * * * D
ABC * *XYZ * * * * * * *
DEF * * * * * * * * * * * * *DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.- Hide quoted text -

How I am understanding this is.
Condition a) A1 = "ABC"
Condition b) B1 = "XYZ"
If both Condition's are TRUE, then D1 needs to equal the contents of
A1.

If this is correct, then you need IF plus the AND function..
=IF(AND(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ"),A1," ")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You cannot have both a value and a formula in B1, and a formula cannot
be used to "push" a value to another cell - it can only return a value
to the cell it is in. That being said, you can't have a formula in D1
affecting the contents of B1, so you'll have to re-think what you are
trying to achieve.

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A * * * *B * * * *C * * * * D
ABC * *XYZ * * * * * * *
DEF * * * * * * * * * * * * *DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.- Hide quoted text -

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

No. you didnt understand my requirement.

only one condition.

if A1 = "ABC" (if it is true) then overwrite the cell B1 as "XYZ", if th
condition is false then take the value of a1 into d1 (I entered the formula
in D1)

=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

if the condition is true then overwrite the value "XYZ" in cell B1

-Chr

wrote:
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A B C D
ABC XYZ
DEF DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.- Hide quoted text -

How I am understanding this is.
Condition a) A1 = "ABC"
Condition b) B1 = "XYZ"
If both Condition's are TRUE, then D1 needs to equal the contents of
A1.

If this is correct, then you need IF plus the AND function..
=IF(AND(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ"),A1," ")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:
Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A * * * *B * * * *C * * * * D
ABC * *XYZ * * * * * * *
DEF * * * * * * * * * * * * *DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.- Hide quoted text -

How I am understanding this is.
Condition a) A1 = "ABC"
Condition b) B1 = "XYZ"
If both Condition's are TRUE, then D1 needs to equal the contents of
A1.

If this is correct, then you need IF plus the AND function..
=IF(AND(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ"),A1," ")- Hide quoted text -

in B1 put .. =IF(A1="ABC","XYZ","")
in D1 put.. =IF(A1<"ABC",A1," ")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

PUT THIS FORMULA IN BI

=IF(A1="ABC","XYZ",A1)

May it help you.

deepti

"Christopher Naveen" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying with if condition but it returns some error. Pls refer the below
formula.

A B C D
ABC XYZ
DEF DEF

I am entering the formula in D1
=if(A1="ABC",B1="XYZ",A1)

Can anyone help me with the above formula.

Thanks in advance!

Chr.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

if A1 = "ABC" (if it is true) then overwrite the cell B1 as "XYZ", if th
condition is false then take the value of a1 into d1 (I entered the
formula in D1)

Just a comment .. what you want to happen in B1 is simply not possible by
virtue of a formula that you place in D1. A formula can only return values
in the cell that it is placed, it cannot affect other cells.