Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP using Fifth Column

Hello,

My understanding is that the VLOOKUP function only works when using the
first column in a data range to look something up, such as vlookup(A4,
Sheet1!A1:T100,16,0).

Well what I would like to do is use the fifth column in the range. So I
would replace A1 to use this: vlookup(E4, Sheet1!A1:T100,16,0).

Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You might want to explain yourself better. If so, anyone can help you. Are
you talking about looking up a lookup-value in the fifth column of a lookup
range, or looking up a lookup-value offset by 4 columns, in the lookup
range?

Tyro

"RoadKill" wrote in message
Hello,

My understanding is that the VLOOKUP function only works when using the
first column in a data range to look something up, such as vlookup(A4,
Sheet1!A1:T100,16,0).

Well what I would like to do is use the fifth column in the range. So I
would replace A1 to use this: vlookup(E4, Sheet1!A1:T100,16,0).

Is there an easy way to accomplish this?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I had a typo. What I want is to replace A4 with E4 in this:
vlookup(A4,Sheet1!A1:T100,16,0).

Yes, it is true what you say. But I want it to pull the 16th column of
Sheet1. That does not change.

Sheet2 has data in A4:D100. So unfortunately the data that I want to match
Sheet2 to Sheet1 is in E4 of Sheet2.

Thank you

"Dave" wrote:

Hi RK,
Your formula:
vlookup(A4,Sheet1!A1:T100,16,0)
Cell A4 on the active sheet contains the data that you want to find in the
table Sheet1!A1:T100. Changing Cell A4 has nothing to do with what column is
used in the table.
As it stands now, VLOOKUP tries to match the data in A4, to a cell in Column
A on Sheet 1, and then returns the data in Column P (16th column).
If you want VLOOKUP to match its data from Column E of the table, and still
return the data in Cloumn P, then you need:
VLOOKUP(A4,Sheet1!E1:T100,12,0)

Hope I have understood what you want.
Regaeds - Dave.