RJS

Default SUM OR SUM NOT?

I HAVE 2 CELLS; D9 AND D27. WHEN I ENTER A NUMBER IN D9 , THAT NUMBER IS ALSO
ADDED TO D27. WHAT I Want TO DO IS TO KEEP THE NUMBER IN D27 PERMINENT SO
THAT WHEN ADD TO D9 THE CELL D27 KEEPS A RUNNING TALLY

i OTHERS WORDS I WILL BE ADDING DIFFERENT NUMBERS TO D9. i WOULD LIKE D27 TO
KEEP A RUNNING TOTAL OF MY INPUTS IN D9.

I USE THE SUM FORMULA, THAT ONLY SHOWS TO CURRENT NUMBER. WHEN I CHANGE
NUMBER IN D9. D27 JUST SHOWS THE SAME NUMBERS DOES NOT ADD THEM
CAN SOMEONE HELPME THANKS

Jerry W. Lewis

All caps is the e-equivalent of shouting, useful for emphasis but
annoying as a routine.

A cell formula does not have memory. The only way to build in memory is
with VBA. You chould have a worksheet change event that updates D27
when there is a change in D9. J.E. McGimpsey gives an example
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html

As a practical matter, memory in a calculation is almost always a bad
idea. How would you deal with data entry errors in R8? If the running
total somehow gets out of sync, how would you correct, or even detect it?

Jerry

RJS wrote:

I HAVE 2 CELLS; D9 AND D27. WHEN I ENTER A NUMBER IN D9 , THAT NUMBER IS ALSO
ADDED TO D27. WHAT I Want TO DO IS TO KEEP THE NUMBER IN D27 PERMINENT SO
THAT WHEN ADD TO D9 THE CELL D27 KEEPS A RUNNING TALLY

i OTHERS WORDS I WILL BE ADDING DIFFERENT NUMBERS TO D9. i WOULD LIKE D27 TO
KEEP A RUNNING TOTAL OF MY INPUTS IN D9.

I USE THE SUM FORMULA, THAT ONLY SHOWS TO CURRENT NUMBER. WHEN I CHANGE
NUMBER IN D9. D27 JUST SHOWS THE SAME NUMBERS DOES NOT ADD THEM
CAN SOMEONE HELPME THANKS

RJS

Thanks Jerry your direction was very helpful, and it worked. Its a simple
worksheet so I hope will not get very complicated. This was my first
experience with this discussion group . Shall view and use more often.
Rjs