Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Is it possible to split the page in columns like in word???

Is it possible to split the sheet in columns like in word???

So that (if i could set a bottom to the sheet) a single-column list of
data would continue along side the first column as opposed to just
going downwards. And if i inserted a row in the first column, each cell
in all the columns would be moved downwards by one cell as opposed to
only the first column?

Thank you.

--
byby
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know of any way to do it on one sheet, but there is a way to do it
with two sheets:
- Use your current sheet for "data entry" with all the data going down in
one long column
- Set up a second sheet with two or more columns that are set up to pull in
the data from the first sheet: once the first column (that you can set to any
length you want) is filled, it starts to fill the second column. You do not
enter any data on this sheet, just set it up once and it will pull in the
data from the first sheet.

If this meets your needs write back and I will post a formula you can put in
the second sheet and "copy down" to all the cells you would potentially fill
in all the columns.

"byby" wrote:

Is it possible to split the sheet in columns like in word???

So that (if i could set a bottom to the sheet) a single-column list of
data would continue along side the first column as opposed to just
going downwards. And if i inserted a row in the first column, each cell
in all the columns would be moved downwards by one cell as opposed to
only the first column?

Thank you.

--
byby

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can paste into Word and use Format | Columns
-or -
Build your own method...
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel....htm#snakecols
-or -
Asap Utilities has a paper saver feature
-or-
Use a commercial add-in (see below)
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"byby"
wrote in message
Is it possible to split the sheet in columns like in word???

So that (if i could set a bottom to the sheet) a single-column list of
data would continue along side the first column as opposed to just
going downwards. And if i inserted a row in the first column, each cell
in all the columns would be moved downwards by one cell as opposed to
only the first column?
Thank you.

--
byby
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks alot for those ideas Jim and Andy. They sound very promising.

However, I need to give some more info about my project in order to
understand what to do exactly. I had originally posted a longer
question with more detail but i didn't get a good answer.

I've included it here and am wondering if your solutions will still
apply, with this additional info.

Thanks again, i think i'm heading in the right direction, Finally.

------

tying columns of data into a specified page size

This may be an easy question.

I have 3 thin columns of data that are 1000 rows long.

I have kept them like this so that i can use the alphabetical-order
tool successfully.

However i need to, now, put this data into an 11/17 page. so there will
now be several greater columns of the 3-columned data side by side. I
want to format the page so that i can still use the alphabetical tool
in respects to the entire list (which is now spanning horizontally
across the sheet in many 3-column groups). As well, i need to maintain
that data in the 3 columns remains side-by-side. So, i need the
formatting to respect the 3 columns as "together" so that when i use
the alphabetical-order tool it "expands the selection" for all 3
columns (yet not the other columns which are now side by side)

Thank you.

By

--
byby
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Andy,

I'll take that formula now, if you have it.

Thanks.

Byron

--
byby